Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Impromptu Book Club

I have never been in a book club. I’ve never had the urge and just plainly feel that I will enjoy a book by myself. Yes, there have been a-good plenty books that I absolutely loved discussing with people but still, that never induced a yearning for me to get together with a group of people and discuss the readings from a list of books. I do love the movie, “Jane Austin Book Club” but yet, that hasn’t set me a fire to seek out these like-minded people. Well, two of my friends recently have encouraged me to read The Hunger Games and this has spread across the restaurant I work at. We have now turned our job into an impromptu book club.

In this impromptu book club, we are all at different points in the three books, reading at our own speeds and it is working out completely functional. We talk about the books in and out of our shift and get excited about parts, discuss the change in character development and try to dissect what we may have missed. For the first time I actually see the benefit of having a book club.

Really, at the heart of it, it is to just have a communion with other people who are going through similar emotions while bringing in their different thoughts and backgrounds to the situation. Book clubs are a great way to find some spirituality without being spiritual or making a deal of it.

With the Hunger Games specifically, it works out well because it is a three book series that is so interlocked with each other that the moment you put down the one you’re reading, you’re picking up the next one. For work, it gives us something to get going about besides work. For anybody who has worked in a restaurant, you know how the drama is quick to come around and this impromptu book club has helped by offering something else to focus on.

All I really have to say is, “Book clubs! Who knew?” I may think twice the next time I am asked to join one. I guess Oprah had a hidden agenda with hers. I now see why.

No comments:

Post a Comment