Monday, November 21, 2011

Time to Stop and Reset

All the time, things need to be reset. Sometimes the best medicine for our computer is to just turn it off and let it sit for a moment. When we turn it back on, it is ready again for whatever we need it for. Our router needs the same thing, our cell phones, our cars, our outlets and so on. With a quick reset, our appliances and such are able to continue working without disruption. We are the exact same way.

One of the greatest luxuries of starting Project Kinect last winter was that I got the chance to meet my daily routines on my terms. There is no way to measure the magnitude of personal happiness when we are meeting deadlines, making appointments, and taking responsibility for ourselves and our own business. Well, unfortunately our own business doesn't always pay the bills and additional money making solutions are required. That is how I ended up here in Wisconsin for the winter, working at a restaurant that I love and for a woman that I admire, look up to and support completely. That does not disregard though how we all still get in routines that are not negotiated by ourselves.

I took off from the restaurant for the weekend to reset. For the past four days, I have had the opportunity again to run my life on my own schedule and it has been fantastic. Despite having a ton of responsibility at the restaurant, I am still in full force working on The Dina and Gregg Show(which we just left our radio station to launch Dign2it Radio), Dign2it Magazine, Project Kinect as well as a new nonprofit that I am helping out with in St. Paul. Those things are the big picture and it is necessary for us, as human beings, to repeatedly reset throughout our lives in order to keep a grasp on the big picture. It is a way to continually be centered to maximize our own productivity.

Think about the last time you reset? It could have been just a moment away from your children or the need to walk away from your staff for an hour. Maybe you needed to take a vacation and get out or you jumped in the car and drove for hours just to clear your head by processing everything. What ever it was, think if you need it again. We tend to reset when it is already too late. It's kind of like when we are so thirsty that we would do anything for a glass of water. Well, the water was really needed a while ago before it got to that desperate point. Our mental reset is completely like that.

Well, that is my thought for today. I must return to my to do list. Have a great day. Take a moment for yourself.

These videos really don't have anything to do with the post. I just came across them for the first time in a while and thought it would be great to post them.










No comments:

Post a Comment