Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Mother, and Her Mother

I have these pictures of my mother and me from when I was young. I was maybe two years old in these pictures and these pictures are of the two of us in a photo booth. I cry any time I look at these pictures because I see the happiness in my mothers eyes. It's a happiness that I don't get to see out of her nearly enough. Its a happiness that only comes when life isn't sitting right there on our shoulders aggravating us, forcing us to get involved with a billion other things that really don't matter. In these pictures, I get to see my mother in that happiness.

My mother was home with me through early childhood and I am so lucky that she was. All the good in her heart, how she reads people, how she talks to people all was digested in those early years. Some of my best qualities came out of those years. My amazing patience came out of those years. A patience that is so trained, it is aggravating sometimes to the people around me. These things I got from my mother.

Of course, this doesn't even include my manners, my behaviors that now, as I grow older, I see coming out more and more every day. One of these behaviors is how I can force the people around me to move quicker without even saying a word. All they know is that there doing a particular task more quickly and are shocked.

I also was educated those years at home with mom. She had the time to teach me and direct my curiosity so that it bloomed into intelligence and personality. Now, today in my 30th year on this planet, my mom is one of my best friends. She knows me best and is the first person I call when something really amazing happens or I need to be talked down off of a cliff.

After my brother was born, my mother had her hands full. From the point of my brother taking his first step, he hasn't stopped. He was a full time job and about the time he started school, she went back to work. I was self propelled by that time so she was less hands on with me. Please don't get this confused with bad parenting, she was still very active in my life, she just had some other major obstacles such as raising my brother, parenting my stepfather sometimes and working to help support our family.

About that time, my grandfather, Took Potter, passed away. Him and I were close. He was the main male role model in my life until this point. Well, this was the era where my grandmother and I really formed our bond. Despite my mothers intelligence and superior witt, my grandma is socially adept, has not only her degree but has been very successful in graduate school and is a sought out person in her field among her colleagues. While my mother was busy with the household, I began learning from my grandma. My grandmother influenced my young adulthood on formed how I treat people, respect people, and find hope in people.

While I was going through my adolescence, so was my grandmother. She had to redefine herself, not only as a widow, but as an independent woman in the prime of her life. The years that followed her husbands death, she bloomed into an independent, professional, nonstop power house whom repeatedly conquered goals, taught people around her, and showed people that there is so much that they can do for themselves and others all the while developing herself into the next phase in her life. I got a ring side seat for all of this and because of it, there is a language that my grandmother and I speak that is in and of itself. She has been my touchstone and I am excelling so much further in my life because of the influence she had on me.

I was home from college the summer of 2003 and I stayed with her at her house. Grandma still to this day is the best roommate I've ever had. She sometimes didn't stay at the house because she had her boyfriend, but when we were together at night,it was always a party. We had the warm summer nights, wine and candles on the deck, and conversation for hours.

Well, that is my mother and her mother. The two strong willed, selfless and beautiful women whom raised me. When anybody wonders why I am the way I am, you can thank them. Or blame them. It really depends when you get me....
It would seem that something which means poverty, disorder and violence every single day should be avoided entirely, but the desire to beget children is a natural urge. ~Phyllis Diller

No comments:

Post a Comment