Monday, May 21, 2012

Opportunity Equality

I didn't have a fully functional computer for most of my life.  I was blessed when a friend gave me her used lap top in 2004 so I had something to type my stories on and slowly use the internet.  Because of this, I was never one for technology; Out of sight, out of mind.  You can ask all of my friends, I didn't text until late, never checked my myspace and was one of the last in all of my circles of friends to join facebook.  It wasn't until Thanksgiving of 2009 when I purchased a computer that would catapult me into the technological age, high impact correspondence and a plethora of opportunities that I had no idea that I was even missing. 

This segment from The Rachel Maddow Show with Ezra Klein does a great job of sharing the inequality of opportunity.  It is all about the resources we each have.  I couldn't get the computer until I had a descent salaried job.  The salary and computer has opened up doors that allowed me to quit my job and pursue my own endeavors.  I am blessed; I know this. I am also humble because I am no where near rich and still have found my happiness through the opportunities that have crossed my paths.  I don't want this post to be about how sad it is for those without opportunities or a vent on how the rich are able to get richer. It is just a moment to be thankful for what we all have and continue to bust our asses as we move forward.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment