Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 4....Wants, Needs and Beliefs

In my line of work right now, I see a lot of people in just a short period of time. I see their different states of being, their attitudes, their focus for the day. I get all this in just a matter of seconds and then comes the presuppose: Do I let them continue with this until something else interferes, or do I take initiative and change it? I was blessed with an amazing gift to read people fast. Not necessarily who they are in life, but where their gage is at in more immediate moments. It comes in handy at work, as well as my life.

With this talent, I see what people want or need pretty quickly and can go off of that and change their attitude. This sounds fantastic because you may be thinking that I make peoples day and put them into a more grand mood. I do and I do this often. Unfortunately, when I'm exhausted or offended, it can just as easily go the other way. It rarely happens, but it happens.

I digress though. At work, I get to separate people's wants and needs. Both need to be manicured individually. A woman comes in, she WANTS a medium coffee, but she NEEDS to be told she looks fantastic. The coffee comes quickly with a smile and a warm greeting followed by, a muffin? The compliment comes with its own presentation. A pause, a look of focus, and "What did you do to your hair? It looks amazing!" Both want and need were met and her clarity comes for just a moment, but it's there. My question is, what happens when our wants and needs are met? Just a question, but one that needs to be answered with recognition, not a fanfare.

Thinking about all the people I see in a day, and what I'm working on with this search, I spent some time today thinking about what they think of there lives and how they would file it in "Where they should be?" An observer can really see the ones that love what they're doing, the ones that despise it, and the ones that aren't even aware that they don't have to be where they are. Just food for thought, but a lot can be said as an observer. It gives a chance to be objective and relate that to the subjective. As I continue to touch base with people, and check in with my beliefs, I'm going to take some time this weekend to just observe. Observe and relate.

Until I add to this later, after I eat some dinner, I'm going to leave you with one of my favorite videos or Rue McClanahan. She was a phenomenal actress that worked on one our most controversial shows in American television. The Golden Girls topics were groundbreaking and to think that three of them have past is sad. I thank them for sharing their talents.

No comments:

Post a Comment